Sour cream has to be one of my favorite ingredients ever! It is creamy and rich, silky and tart, while still being slightly sweet. The acidity allows your baking to turn out tender and light when combined with baking powder or baking soda. That’s why I knew it would be a perfect addition to cornbread. Many cornbread recipes ask for buttermilk for the acidity, but I love how luscious sour cream is, so that was my inspiration for this cornbread recipe.
Cornbread is a favorite of mine! This is my first attempt at perfecting a recipe, but I definitely think I’m on the right track. Part of me is thinking that adding freshly cooked corn would be great when it is in season. Frozen corn is really great as well, so that may be my next experiment!
When I was living in Tallahassee, while going to school at Florida State, I experienced Southern food unlike any that I had had in the North. Fried pickles are the best things ever…dipped in honey mustard…umm yes! Cornbread also became a favorite of mine, since it is served with basically any and every Southern dish. There are a million different styles of cornbread and a million different ways to make it. Some are very sweet, some of cheesy, some are spicy, and some are filled with fresh corn.
The recipe I created is a great base to start with, then add anything you like! My recipe is simple, slightly sweet, and a great addition to soak up sauces and soups. We make soup a lot in our house, since it is a great way to use of veggies before they go bad. Another recipe I love the cornbread with is my Healthy Turkey Chili!
How to make perfect Sour Cream Cornbread
*Make sure the eggs, milk, and sour cream are all room temperature. If they aren’t, then the batter will not combine nicely, which can make the finished product heavy instead of light and tender.
*Spray the baking dish with cooking spray. This allows the cornbread to come out nicely. If you don’t have cooking spray, you can use room temperature butter
*Add things you like! If you want, you could add cheese, corn, jalapeño, etc!
*Don’t over-bake! Make sure to remove the cornbread from the oven as soon as a toothpick comes out clean. If you over-bake it, then it could be dry.
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- ¼ cup milk, room temperature
- ⅓ cup oil, I like using sunflower seed oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and mix with a whisk until well combined
- In another bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, oil, melted butter, and eggs until well mixed
- Pour the wet ingredients slowly into the dry ingredients while stirring with a whisk
- Whisk just until combined
- Spray and 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and pour the batter into the prepared pan
- Bake at 350 degree for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool