Like any good Italian girl, I love mozzarella cheese! It is stamped into our DNA.
Many Italians like spicy food as well, but that love didn’t start for me until after having my son. (What is it about pregnancy that changes our tastebuds?) So, now I crave spicy food all of the time. Mozzarella is a great vessel for spice, because it is rich and creamy to create a perfect balance. Because this cheese is so mild, it can be combined with a number of different ingredients.
To make the mozzarella really special, I marinated it with herbs and red pepper flakes. It adds an earthy herbaceous taste, with a kick of spice, and is all evened out with the milky mozzarella. Marinated mozzarella can be used on salads, a charcuterie platter, or an addition to basically any meal. In all honesty, I can eat them right out of the jar!
Tips for perfect Marinated Mozzarella
*Dried or fresh herbs can be used! Either ones work, I just tend to have lots of dried herbs around that need to be used up. Don’t forget, dried herbs are only supposed to be good for about a year, then they lose their flavor.
*Allow the mozzarella to marinate for at least a couple hours to achieve good flavor.
*These can be stored in the fridge, but the oil may harden a bit. Before eating, allow the jar to sit out so that the oils can come back their normal consistency.
- 8 oz mozzarella; I like using the small balls of mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes; you can use less if you like
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cloves fresh garlic; diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup olive oil
- a mason jar; or a small container similar
- Place the mozzarella in the mason jar
- Add in all of the herbs and garlic
- Pour in the olive oil and place on the top
- Shake, shake, shake to mix!
- Allow it to marinate for at least 2-3 hours, this can also stay in the fridge for a few days; the oil may harden up in the fridge, so be prepared to give it time to come to room temperature before eating