Soup is one of my favorite things to eat! It’s warm and comforting, and everything I need in life. I make veggie soup all of the time! I find that it is a great way to use up veggies before they go bad. I tend to get ambitious at the grocery store, and think I am going to make more things than I actually have time for, so veggie soup is the answer to that. I make this soup almost every weekend, unless we have actually eaten all of the veggies in the fridge.
This recipe is vegan, but if you want to add in any meat, then you definitely can. I like to add in the rind of parmesan cheese for flavor, but it don’t always have one around, and it is great with or without it. This veggie soup recipe is very versatile, because you can add in any veggies you like! I tend to have carrots, zucchini, and red pepper around, so that is what I like to add in. If I have leeks instead of onions, that tastes great, or use any other kind of beans you like! I am giving you the foundation of the recipe, and you can make it your own!
Tips for perfect Veggie Soup
*Don’t let the pot get so hot that it burns the veggies, that wouldn’t taste so great
*Stir frequently! This allows the veggies to cook evenly.
*Follow the directions for the order in which to add the veggies. Certain ones like carrots, take longer to cook, so they need to go in first.
*Make sure to allow time for the soup to simmer. That is when the flavors marry and the veggies will continue to soften.
*If the soup is too thick, add in more water or stock.
*Allow the soup to cool completely before storing it in the fridge in an airtight container.
- 1 onion; finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery; diced
- 2-3 large carrots; diced
- 1 large red bell pepper; diced
- 1 large ( or 2 small) zucchini, diced; I like to cut out the seeds
- ½ cup (heaping) corn; I use frozen, not canned
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes; I LOVE using the fire roasted if you can find it
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans; drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 32 oz veggie stock
- 1 cup water
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, and add in the carrots, and celery with a sprinkle of salt; cook until softened
- Add in the onion and red pepper; cook until starting to soften
- Add in the zucchini and corn, and cook until starting to soften; stirring frequently
- Add in the the dried herbs, and cook for another minute or two; stirring frequently
- Add in the tomatoes and beans
- Add in the veggie stock and water
- Bring to a slight boil, then reduce to simmer, and cook for about a half hour until the veggies have softened
- If refrigerating, make sure to allow the soup to cool completely, then place in an airtight container