Happy tomato season!!! Is anyone else a total tomato snob? I feel like once you have a really great tomato from the farmer’s market, you really can’t go back to eating flavorless tomatoes. I also tend to get avocado happy at my house. My baby loves to eat them, and I make avocado toast all of the time. Since the window of when they are good is so small, it’s like they are all perfectly ripe at the same time and I’m hustling to find a good way to use them all up… besides being a basic Instagram lover…avocado toast. Enter, tomato avocado salad!
This salad is super easy, super forgiving, and super good!! Adjust the flavors and ingredients to whatever you like. I happen to love red onion, but if you aren’t a fan, then leave them out. I also have a newly found obsession with jalapenos, so they find their way into everything I am cooking lately.
This is a perfect summer salad. Tomatoes are in their prime with tons of flavor and slightly sweet, avocado adds a perfect creaminess, and I load those two up with lots of tangy lemons, spicy jalapeno, herbaceous cilantro, a little zip from red onions, and fruitiness from fresh olive oil.
Tips for perfect Tomato and Avocado Salad:
*Use fresh tomatoes!
*Make sure you use ripe avocados.
*Add as much or as little lemon as you like. I like A LOT!
*If you don’t have (or like cilantro) you can replace it with basil.
*To take the edge off the red onion flavor, soak the freshly cut pieces in ice water for a few minutes. This makes the onion crunchy while also taking away some of the juices that make it potent.
*You can also serve this with chips in place of a chunky salsa.
- 1 pint fresh tomatoes
- 1-2 lemons
- 2 avocados
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 small red onion; or half of a large red onion
- ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro; or basil can be used in place of it
- olive oil
- Cut the tomatoes into small, bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl
- Cut the avocado into small cubes and scoop into the same bowl as the tomatoes
- Thinly slice the red onion and place the pieces in a bowl with some ice water for a few minutes; then scoop them out and place the slices in the bowl with the tomatoes and avocado
- Use a microplane/grater/zester, to take the zest off of one lemon and add it into the bowl
- Cut the jalapeno into thin slices and add it into the bowl
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the bowl
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Taste, and adjust seasoning as desired