Happy Cinco de Mayo!
What better way to celebrate than with a handcrafted margarita? These Strawberry and Basil Margaritas are life changing. Most margarita recipes use a pre-made sweet and sour mix, which usually leaves you with a headache. Not this one! To freshen up the flavor I made these with homemade basil simple syrup and ripe strawberries. I used Hornitos Tequila for this recipe, because it is made with 100% agave, which gives the tequila a nice, smooth taste. I also like to use their Plata Tequila, which it is not aged in oak like their Reposado and Anejo, because the clear tequila doesn’t overpower the other ingredients.
Strawberry and basil are a perfect pairing for Spring, and having fresh fruit and herbs in your cocktail makes for a very refreshing taste. The additional basil in the simple syrup keeps the herbal flavor consistent throughout the cocktail. If you really like the taste of basil (like I do), try tearing a few leaves into small pieces and sprinkling them on top of the margarita, or you could simply drop in a whole basil leaf. Either way will add to the aromatic experience of the drink. Lastly, the splash of sparkling water gives the drink nice effervescence. Finish off with an extra garnish of strawberries and lime to make these margaritas really special.
This is not just any Cinco de mayo! These Strawberry Basil Margaritas will make your celebration extra special.
Quick tip: For an extra refreshing cocktail, make sure the tequila is really cold!
- For one margarita:
- Please note that 1 shot=1.5oz
- 1 shot fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 shots good tequila
- 1 tablespoon basil simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons strawberries, muddled
- basil for garnish
- sparkling water
- crushed ice
- extra lime and strawberries for garnish; optional
- Basil Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup whole fresh basil leaves
- *Place the strawberries in a cup and smash them with a muddler; you can also do this with a fork
- *Pour in the lime juice, tequila, and simple syrup
- *Stir together
- *Rub a lime around the rim margarita glass (or whatever glass you plan on using) and dip it into a plate or shallow bowl covered with salt to coat the rim; optional
- *Place a handful of crushed ice into the margarita glass
- *Pour the tequila mixture over the ice
- *Add a splash of sparking water
- *Garnish with basil by tearing it or simply placing it into the glass
- *Garnish with extra strawberries and lime; optional
- Basil Simple Syrup
- *Combine the sugar, water, and basil in a sauce pan over medium heat
- *Stir until the sugar dissolves and it comes to a simmer
- *Simmer on low for about 10 minutes; string occasionally
- *Allow to cool and remove the basil leaves
- *You can store this in a sealed container and refrigerate