Pretty sure bacon makes everything better!
I recently made Salmon with Peach and Cucumber Salsa, which is a super easy, and healthy, dinner. After taking the pictures for this site, I had some extra salmon to use. So, I started looking around for another way to use up the salmon and salsa combination that I am currently obsessed with. Sliders came to mind! I love sliders, because that way you can eat two burgers, but don’t feel as bad about it, because they are small. I know I’m not the only one who feels that way!
To round out the rich salmon flavor, and the sweet salsa, the only answer was bacon! The bacon adds a nice salty flavor and crunch, which add a great balance to everything else going on with the slider. I simply cut the pieces of salmon into small cubes that would fit the slider buns nicely, and then cooked them up on the stove. If you are planning on grilling, this can also be made on the grill.
How to make perfect Salmon Sliders with Bacon and Cucumber + Peach Salsa
*Make sure your salmon is close to room temperature before cooking. This allows the salmon to cook evenly!
*To create a great crust on the outside of the salmon, make sure that it is nicely seasoned with salt. You also want to make sure that the skillet is very hot before putting the salmon in. The easiest way to check this, is to flick in a small amount of water into the pan, and if it sizzles, it is ready!
*I like to add a small amount of mayo on the bun. I find it adds a nice vinegar flavor to the slider.
*These are a bit messy…embrace it!
- About 2 6-8oz filets of salmon to make 6 sliders; skins removed
- 6 slider buns
- Cucumber and Peach Salsa; recipe on www.FromScratchWithMaria.com
- Bacon; about 6 pieces; one per slider
- mayo, optional
- Cook up the bacon until crispy (if you need a bacon cooking tutorial, there is one on www.fromscratchwithmaria.com, search "bacon")
- Make sure the salmon is room temperature, and season with salt
- Cut the pieces of salmon into thirds, or cut to the size that will fit in the slider buns
- Heat a nonstick skillet in a pan over medium heat; add a small amount of high burning oil, like coconut oil
- Add in the salmon, you will want to hear a sizzle noise right when the salmon hits the skillet to create a great crust
- Allow the salmon to cook on one side for a few minutes, then flip and cook on the other side; if you want your salmon to be "well cooked," you can place the skillet in a 375 degree oven and cook until desired doneness
- Remove from heat, and allow to sit at room temperature, covered with foil, for a few minutes
- Build your sliders by placing a small amount of mayo on the bottom of the bun, then layer on the bacon, place the salmon over the bacon, and pour some of the cucumber and peach salsa over the salmon
- Place the top of the bun on the slider, and enjoy!