I think that sometimes we get caught up in making over the top recipes that need to have a million ingredients to feel like we cooked something special. There are so many crazy recipes on Pinterest (even though I’m obsessed), that we become overwhelmed with which one to choose. Well, now that we are into Spring and produce is really fresh, I think that sometimes all we need to do is allow the freshness of the produce to shine.
Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables to eat, because it goes with so many things. I chop it up and cook it with my eggs in the morning, I grill it up and add it to a veggie wrap with some hummus, and even bake with it for Chocolate Zucchini Bread! Since zucchini has a touch of sweetness to it, I love to pair it with something salty like feta. Feta cheese is great for this recipe, because it won’t melt as quickly as some other cheeses do, and had a great salty flavor that goes well with the fresh zucchini. I also love to add a little bit of heat with red pepper flakes. If you don’t like the heat, then leave it off.
How to make perfect Easy Grilled Zucchini with Feta
*The best way to cut the zucchini is on an angle. This makes the cuts much larger, and easier to work with.
*Don’t over oil the zucchini! The best way to add the olive oil is to place the cut zucchini in a bowl, drizzle over a little bit of olive oil along with a sprinkle of salt, and use your hands to toss everything together. This allows you to make sure they are evenly coated without adding a lot of oil. If you add too much oil they will become soggy.
*Make sure your grill it hot and ready to go. Prep the hot grill by wiping it with some flavorless, high burning oil like sunflower oil, or grape seed oil.
*Careful not to overcook the zucchini! Flip the zucchini and take it off right when you see nice grill marks. They will continue to cook, and the last think you want is for them to be overcooked and too soft.
*These are best served right away, and since they cook quickly, they can be one of the last things you prepare for the meal.
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes; optional
- feta cheese
- Wash and dry the zucchini, then cut on an angle in evenly sized slices
- Place the cut zucchini into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt
- Use your hands to toss the zucchini in the olive oil and salt so they are evenly coated
- Place the zucchini directly onto a hot grill that has been oiled
- Cook until you start to see nice grill marks, then flip to the other side; these don't take long to cook at all, so it should be one of the last items you cook up for your meal
- Once the other side has grill marks, take them off of the grill and place them on a serving platter
- Top with feta and red pepper flakes
- Serve immediately
Easy Grilled Zucchini with Feta