April showers came early for us here in Los Angeles, but I know everyone across the country is either dealing with bad weather, or will be soon! Here is an adorable springtime DIY for you to make that will brighten these gray and gloomy days. These DIY Rain Boot Mats are so easy, it’s not even fair to call it a DIY. You simply find adorable plastic grass and put it on a plate or platter, cut it to size if needed, and decorate it.
I have the tutorial for the DIY clay ladybugs below. I will also post the video from my segment on Hallmark Channel’s Home and Family Show once I have access to it!
- Plastic platter, cookie sheet or tray
- Artificial grass tiles
- Outdoor spray paint (optional)
- Super glue
- Polymer clay (red & black)
- Black acrylic paint
- Super glue
- Glass surface or Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Razor blade or matte knife
Directions for Mat
1. Measure the platter
2. Spray with outdoor paint (optional)
3. Cut the grass tiles to fit sheet size
4. Press grass tiles snugly (like a puzzle)
Use a platter or tray with a lip all around (a cookie sheet will work also).
Materials available at all craft stores.
Directions for Lady Bug
1. Cut or pull off a piece of black clay and roll into ladybug body shape
2. Pull or cut off a piece of red clay and mold into wing shapes
3. Press onto black body
4. Bake until hardened (follow directions on package)
5. Paint black dots on wings
6. Super glue ladybug onto grass
Cornstarch keeps the clay from sticking.
Follow baking directions on the package.